LAST UPDATED: 07/18/2023
Information CollectionNCS strives to limit its collection of personal information to that necessary for the offering and administration of our services. Our Site collects the following types of information when you visit:
- Personally identifying information; and,
- Non-personally identifiable information.
Personally Identifiable Information/Personal DataPersonally identifying information (“PII” or “personal data”) is any information that can identify you, such as your name, address, phone number and IP address. It does not include anonymized, aggregate or statistical information. Based on your relationship with us, you may be asked to provide certain PII as described below. If certain information is requested but not mandatory, NCS will identify which information is required on the Site.
- Online Questions or Request
- When you are requesting materials or information from NCS, we may collect your name, address, email address, phone number, state of residence, and other PII, as well as other information related to your request for NCS services or products.
- Background Screening Services (which may be collected through our Site or offline)
- When your employer or landlord requests a background check NCS may collect your PII both online and offline to process the request.
- Client Portal Login
- When you use the client log-in portal for background checks, drug testing, or electronic I-9 completion you will be sent to our vendors’ system and webpage where they will collect login information such as account, username and/or password in order to access your account and perform the requested services. Information provided through the Client portal will also be available to NCS
- Partner Account Registration
- When you sign up to partner with NCS we may collect your name, title, email address, and company information.
- Billing Information (which may be collected through our Site or offline)
- (which may be collected through our Site or offline). If you purchase our services you may need to provide NCS with payment and billing information, such as your credit card details and billing address.
Non-Personally Identifiable InformationWhen you visit our Website, we may collect and store general Internet data, such as your domain name, browser type, device, date and time of access, which of our web pages you visited, the referring Uniform Resource Locator (URL) and how long you spend on each page. This information may be collected to assist us in making improvements to our Website and to administer our Website. We do not link this information to any PII. NCS may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate these services (e.g., maintenance, analysis, audit, development). These third parties have limited access to your information and only to perform these services or tasks on our behalf.
Information UsePersonally identifying information collected through our Site may be used to:
- Respond to your inquiries, process requests or otherwise correspond with you regarding programs or services;
- Conduct pre-employment background checks, volunteer background checks, and tenant screening services as requested by customers of background check reports such as employers, volunteer organizations, and landlords;
- Provide you with marketing information about NCS’ services and products;
- Process billing, invoice and payment functions when you request NCS services; and
- Analyze and improve NCS’ services.
Google AnalyticsOur Website uses third party analytics service providers such as Google Analytics to help us analyze use of our Site. You can prevent Google Analytics from recognizing you on return visits to this Site by using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on
Third-Party Links and WebsitesThis policy applies to NCS’ Website. However, you are able to access third-party sites through our Site by, for example, clicking on hyperlinks to those third-party sites from within our Site. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of any third-party sites, and if you visit those websites, we encourage you to review their respective privacy policies. Third party links on our Site are provided for your convenience and to provide further information or serve as a resource. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). NCS exercises no control whatsoever over such other websites and web-based resources and is not responsible or liable for the availability thereof or the content, advertising, products or other materials thereon. NCS shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss incurred or suffered by any user in connection therewith. Your access and use of linked websites, including information, material, products and services therein, is solely at your own risk.
Choice, Opt-Out and How We Respond to Do Not Track SignalsAs a user of our Website you make the decision whether to proceed with activities that request PII, such as requesting follow-up contact regarding our services and products, receipt of email communications from us, or receipt of our newsletter(s), blog or other communications. Note however that if you do not provide the requested information, you may not be able to complete certain transactions or receive information from us. If, after subscribing to receive emails or other electronic communications from NCS you no longer wish to continue receiving such from us, you will be provided with instructions in our communications on how to opt-out of such communications, including by unsubscribing. In addition, you can also contact us through the Point of Contact information provided in this policy. NCS does not track consumers over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising. However, some third party sites do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to collect PII about you and also tailor what they present to you. To learn more about the choices you have regarding online tracking, please visit these sites:
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- We may transfer information about you if NCS is acquired by or merged with another company.
- We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the NCS service, such as service announcements, administrative messages and the NCS newsletter, that are considered part of your NCS account.
- NCS does not send information outside the United States unless it is required and authorized by the customer and applicant as part of an international search or background check.
Data RetentionNCS retains personal information as needed to provide you services or product information, respond to inquiries, partner with you, or as required by contractual, statutory or other legal obligations.
Confidentiality and SecurityNCS strives to protect personal information that we collect, maintain and disclose through the use of appropriate and reasonable administrative, physical and technical safeguards. We have security protocols and measures in place to ensure confidentiality of PII and to protect the PII we maintain about you from unauthorized access or alteration as well as unlawful disclosure. These measures include internal and external firewalls, physical security and technological security measures, as well as encryption of certain information and password protection for account information. Our security program is designed to: (1) ensure the security and confidentiality of personal information; (2) protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of the information; and (3) protect against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or unlawful disclosure of the information that could result in substantial harm or inconvenience to any individual. In the course of business, NCS may collect or ask that you disclose your Social Security Number. To the extent practicable, NCS protects the confidentiality of all information we collect, including Social Security Numbers. Accordingly, we prohibit the unlawful disclosure of personal information, including Social Security Numbers, and limit access to same. We dispose of such information by taking reasonable measures to protect against unauthorized access to or use of the information. Below further describes data safeguards we use:
- We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to protect personal information about you.
- Your NCS Account Information is password-protected.
- When logged in to the NCS application, all information, including your login credentials, are transmitted across a Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
- All credit card information entered into the Website is not stored on a server maintained by NCS, but rather goes to our merchant services provider, USAePay
- You can read more about the different levels of security provided by USAePay on their Security page of their website.
- NCS does store search results data from its providers when a search is processed. That data is encrypted on a server behind a firewall in a secure data center with a local provider.
Privacy Notice: California Investigative Consumer ReportsThis notice is provided for California residents. Under California law (Cal. Civ. Code § 1786 et seq.), an “investigative consumer report” is a consumer report containing information on a consumer’s character, general reputation, personal characteristics or mode of living. Under California law, NCS compiles “investigative consumer reports” about individuals and provides them to businesses for background screening related to employment purposes, including whether to hire, promote or retain an individual.
Personal Information Disclosure: United States or OverseasIn connection with our preparation and processing of investigative consumer reports under California law, we are required to advise you that NCS may transfer personal information about you to our authorized service providers and affiliates outside the United States and its territories when conducting international background checks.
Privacy PracticesNCS’ policies and procedures for preparing and processing of investigative consumer reports are designed to comply with the requirements of the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act (Cal. Civ. Code § 1786 et seq.) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq.). NCS, for example, maintains policies and procedures designed to limit the purposes for, and circumstances under which, we furnish investigative consumer reports. NCS maintains reasonable procedures to assure maximum possible accuracy of the information concerning the individual about whom the report relates. NCS provides individuals with the ability to request, upon proper identification, access to information we hold about them in our investigative consumer reporting files. NCS conducts reinvestigations of the accuracy and completeness of information at the individual’s request. NCS also has implemented administrative, physical and technical safeguards designed to protect the information that we maintain in our investigative consumer reporting files. To obtain additional information about NCS’ privacy practices and policies in the event of a compromise of your information, please contact: Damon Hill Chief Information Officer National Crime Search, LLC 3452 E Joyce Blvd Fayetteville, AR 72703 888-527-3282 firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Data Processing PurposesWe use personal data for a number of legitimate interests, including to provide and improve our background screening services, administer our relationship with you and our business, for marketing and in order to exercise our rights and responsibilities. We may also process personal data pursuant to your consent or otherwise to comply with laws or legal obligations.
EU Nationals – Your RightsResidents in the EU are entitled to certain rights with respect to your personal data:
- Right of access and data portability. The right to obtain access to your personal data, along with certain related information, and to receive that information in a commonly used format and to have it transferred to another data controller;
- Right to rectification. The right to obtain rectification of your personal data without undue delay where that personal data is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to erasure. The right to obtain the erasure of your personal data without undue delay in certain circumstances, such as where the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed;
- The right to obtain the restriction of the processing undertaken by us on your personal information in certain circumstances, such as where the accuracy of the personal data is contested by you, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of that personal data; and
- The right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of your personal data, and to object to processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes, to the extent it is related to such direct marketing.